Tuesday 1 May 2012

Me-Made-May '12 begins...

So yesterday I made myself a pair of pyjama shorts, so I could wake up fully in the MMM'12 spirit! I have to admit I felt a bit left out of Karen's pyjama party, so thought I might be able to catch up on the fun by making the shorts hideously flowery...

This is a stretch cotton, so is super comfy to wear - and to be honest, I don't know what else I'm going to use this fabric for as it's pretty loud. I think I'll make up some full length pyjama bottoms too.

Karen's sew-a-long was handy, but to be honest I didn't really need it (ooh, get me!), the techniques are all things I've done before - although the tip of adding a hanging loop at the back was very handy. I used the same pattern as the twill shorts I made, just omitting the darts and adding a chunk at the top (roughly twice the waistband width) to allow for the elastic casing (and to give them a higher rise). I could have added a bit more at the centre back as it dips a bit there.

As these were only going to be worn in bed, I used, ahem, fast sewing techniques on them: eyeballing the grainline and length addition at the top, and not doing the whole faff of pressing the hems before each pass of sewing, just folding it over as I went.

These were worn with a me-made top too - the muslin of a knit block I have drafted (more details following). I made it in the same bright yellow interlock as the glamorous "duster" wrap, as I have no idea what else I'm going to do with this fabric. I thought I might as well finish it off and wear it as a pyjama top as it's a very snuggly fabric. I've recently been trying a range of different finishes for knits - here I finished the neckline like a t-shirt with a strip of cotton jersey folded in half and serged to the neckline from the right side. The seam is then flipped to the inside and topstitched down. The armscyes and hem are just turned in and topstitched with a twin needle.

I will try and take a photo every day for MMM'12, but I'll probably only post round-ups, unless I have something new to show. I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone else's me-made outfits on the Flickr page, I've found it really inspiring during the last two challenges. Yay!

Oh, and this is what I'm wearing during the day today - a sneak peek of a trial run of a pattern I drafted (a post coming up once I've taken the photos of the finished final version).

No comments:

Post a Comment