Friday 29 April 2011

Pattern review - jeans skirt

Pattern description

Self-drafted jeans skirt.

Pattern sizing

This was drafted to my personal measurements, using a slightly modified version of the technique in "Metric Pattern Cutting" learnt at the custom pattern course at London College of Fashion.

Fabric used

Medium-weight stretch denim from A-One Fabrics on Goldhawk Road, with grey topstitching and dark grey rivets. The waistband facing and the pocket bag are made from grey cotton salvaged from a pillowcase.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope when you were done?

Well, it looked like by sketch! (Incidentally, photographing this skirt on Wilma has alerted me to just how differently she is shaped compared to me. The skirt looks like it fits terribly on Wilma, but actually fits me perfectly.)

Were the instructions easy to follow?

I obviously didn't have any instructions, so before I started sewing I sat down and figured out the construction order, and wrote it all down so I didn't get confused. This was only my second attempt at a lapped zipper (the first was a disaster), and I'm very pleased with it.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?

The perfect fit! This has given me more confidence in using my self-drafted patterns - I'm going to psych myself up to tackle a self-drafted top next time...

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made

As drafted, the back vent was way too high, so that was lowered in construction, although I think I probably lowered it a couple of centimetres to far. When I tried it on for fitting during construction, I noticed the centre back was jutting out, so I raised the side seams on the back section.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?

I probably won't sew this exact same skirt again, but I'm definitely going to use my skirt block to draft more skirts for myself. I would highly recommend others drafting their own skirt block - fitting on this is very easy (much easier than the bodice), and alterations for a variety of styles are simple too.

Conclusion

I'm very pleased with this skirt. It was another wardrobe-hole filler and has been very successful, and has already got a lot of wear.

No comments:

Post a Comment